Whether it's from improper socialization as a puppy or negative experiences prior to him joining your family, cowering (crouching down in fear) is something to be concerned about. If you see your dog acting strange and scared, chances are he is experiencing stress.
What could make your dog so stressed out he cowers?
- Loud noises, such as fireworks or the vacuum cleaner
- Fear of travel or riding in the car
What can you do to help?
- Speak in a calm, quiet, soothing voice.
- Remain calm in stressful situations; dogs read our stress and react accordingly.
- Make sure your dog gets enough exercise and socialization. Dogs are social animals and need time with people and other animals to be happy and well-adjusted.
- Talk to your vet about how best to desensitize your dog to fearful situations or past traumas.