My dog won't stop whining, and I don't know what to do about it.
Dogs are social animals, and don't like to be left behind — either from the pack of dogs (despite being domesticated, this is their natural instinct) or their new pack of humans. Howling and whining is their way of saying, "Hey, I'm here! Don't leave me!"
Dogs whine and howl for many reasons
- They're scared to leave the shelter
- They're getting used to their new home
- They miss their doggy mom or previous caregiver
- They feel alone and are having trouble handling stress
Tips for stopping whining & howling
- Try wrapping your dog in a Comfort Zone Calming Vest. The vest offers constant, gentle pressure that produces a swaddling-like effect that helps reduce stress.
- Try not to make too much fuss before leaving your puppy alone.
- Because large, open spaces may appear daunting, consider using a covered crate. This can help nervous puppies feel more secure.