Dogs are social creatures and like to be with a group. If your dog is not sick, but he's hiding in a corner, under the bed, or behind the furniture, chances are he's stressed out. He's hiding as a way to escape the source of a loud noise, or other situation that's causing fear:
- Loud noises, such as fireworks or a noisy appliance
- Strangers (a new dog sitter, the in-laws, the mail carrier)
What can you do to help?
- Reduce the noise level of your television or other loud appliances that might be causing him undue stress.
- Speak to him in a calm voice, and try to keep him on his normal routine.
- Wrap your dog in a Comfort Zone Calming Vest. The vest provides constant, gentle pressure that creates a swaddling-like effect that helps reduce stress.
- Be patient and don't force him out of his hiding spot. He'll come out when he feels more confident and less afraid.