My dog just won't go to sleep at night — he's restless. What can I do to help him relax?
Many breeds of dogs are high energy and never seem to calm down. But there's a difference between high-energy and restlessness. When dogs are afraid or nervous, they'll often pace the floor, or have trouble settling down in one place.
What could make your dog so nervous or stressed that he can't sit still or lay down on the floor while you're just relaxing in the living room and watching a movie?
- Loud noises, such as fireworks
- Anticipating that you're preparing for travel (open suitcase on the bed, etc.)
What can you do to help
- Make sure his bed is clean and comfortable.
- Reduce the noise level of your television, or other loud appliances that might be causing him undue stress.
- Speak to him in a calm voice, and give him a good scratch behind the ears.
- Wrap your dog in a Comfort Zone Calming Vest. The vest provides constant, gentle pressure that creates a swaddling-like effect that helps reduce stress.