My dog shakes and shivers even when he's not cold. Is he OK?
Dogs have feelings, too, and respond to certain stressful situations by trembling, shaking, or shivering. It could be that he's happy (Yay! You're home from work!), or it could signal fear or stress.
What could make your dog scared or stressed?
- Loud noises such as fireworks or the vacuum cleaner
- Fear of travel or riding in the car
If your dog is not wet or cold and he's shaking, shivering, or trembling then this is more than likely to be stress related.
What can you do to help?
- Speak in a calm, quiet, soothing voice.
- Let your dog see you and be near you.
- Keep your dog's normal routine.
- Don't punish him or yell at him to "stop it!" He can't control it, and yelling at him will only make it worse.
- Wrap your dog in a Comfort Zone Calming Vest to help reduce stress behavior. The vest provides constant, gentle pressure that creates a swaddling-like effect that helps reduce stress.